The making of Milky Way, Aurora

April 19, 2015  •  Leave a Comment
Before/After
Before

... and on with the show

 

The first order of business was to find a crop that I liked. 3 photo stitches from a 17mm TS will give you a 4x5 ratio. Sometimes I simply go with it, sometimes I don't, it all depends on the image. In this particular case I knew the image would benefit from a longer vertical because it had lines travelling from top to bottom, so I went with a 5x7.

The 2nd step was to clone out the lights. I left the light pollution that was spilling in from behind the mountain, but the highway ones had to go.

At this point I started moving the image towards what I had in my mind's eye. The Northern Lights that I witnessed were cool, with accents of red. What the camera captured was a different thing altogether. I opened Viveza and cooled down the entire image. I painted back the reds from the original image since the cooling down had some effect on them too.

 

In ACR I opened the lights quite a bit in order to get some life back into the image, and then added clarity to help the Aurora and the stars stand out. 

A bit of dodge and burn on a b/d layer brought back the Milky Way and the shooting star. The sky was pretty much done now. 

For the foreground I spent some time dodging (this time in LAB so I can have better control on what gets touched) the wisps of water on and around the rocks. I finished up with saturation and mid-tones contrast. 

 

 

 

 


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Archive
January February March April (3) May (3) June (1) July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December